This dangerous brain-eating amoeba is called, Naegleria Fowleri. The single-celled organism is commonly found in warm freshwater. If it manages to enter into the human via the passage of the nose it is absolutely fatal.
A man in North Carolina died after he went swimming in a lake and was infected by a single-celled organism known as the “brain-eating amoeba” https://t.co/XD3CHuTdvI
— The New York Times (@nytimes) July 26, 2019
Centre for Disease Control and Prevention informed that the amoeba kills its host via a devastating infection. The infection badly infects the brain.
There have been a number of saddening cases. A recent one is of a man in North Carolina. The man went for an innocent swim by the lake near his house on a Monday. He was soon reported dead.
The further reports reveal the man was badly infected by Naegleria fowleri which is a single-celled organism commonly known as a “brain-eating amoeba.
Eddie Gray dies due to “brain-eating amoeba
The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services shared that on July 12, the fifty-nine-year-old man visited the Fantasy Lake Water Park. The water park is in Cumberland County.
The brain-eating amoeba incidents are not very common. However, they are fatal. Once infected, the individual cannot be saved from it. The reports suggest a total of one hundred and forty-five cases of Naegleria fowleri infections are found in the United States of America. These reports are from the years 1962 to 2018.
Fantasy Lake Water Park in Cumberland County
The majority of the cases have been reported from Florida and Texas in the US.
The family demands privacy and time to grieve after the untimely and tragic death of their family member. The man’s obituary reveals, he was an active participant of the Sedge Garden United Methodist Church. He was an active man and indulged himself in activities like camping, kayaking, hunting, and fishing.
Zack Moore, North Carolina’s state epidemiologist expressed his sympathies and conveyed that this death should be an eye-opener for the people who commonly visit the lake. Every warm freshwater river, lake, or hot spring across the entire North Carolina may contain this brain-eating amoeba.
Is any water sport worth your life?
The North Carolina health department also informed that the amoeba causes no illness if it is swallowed. However, if it goes up by the nose, the patient can’t be saved. The statistics reveal that apart from three-quarter men, several children and teenagers have also been affected by the amoeba.
Brain-eating amoeba infection-Symptoms
The patient doesn’t die immediately, it takes about two to three weeks. There are a number of common progressing symptoms. The symptoms include nausea, vomiting, and headache. The human nasal passage gives the amoeba a direct passage to reach the brain. The passage is called the olfactory nerve. As soon as it reaches the brain, it destroys the brain tissue in no time.
This infection is scientifically known as primary amebic meningoencephalitis.
The removal of the amoeba is practically impossible. Consequently, people will have to adopt their own precautions. The precaution number one can be, you can do is reduce your water sport activities. However, if you are a very big fan, you must avoid natural habitats of the amoeba.
The most important safety measure is “try to limit the amount of water that is going up your nose.” Nose clips are available in the market which can be used.
Stay updated via BlockToro.