WBC has provisionally suspended the interim heavyweight champion Dillian Whyte on grounds of substance abuse reported before his match with Oscar Rivas.
Dillian Whyte defeated Rivas in a closely contested match but reports showed he was under a banned substance influence prior to the match.
Dillian Whyte can prove his innocence in investigation
Whyte was cleared by the UKADA and British Boxing Board of Control for the aforementioned fight. Dillian Whyte thus had earned the right to challenge Heavyweight Champion Deontay Wilder.
All that is now put on hold and his interim title is suspended until WBC completes its independent investigations. That has come to light after WBC came to know about the development through media.
The UKADA and BBBC were in-charge of the doping regulations for the match but WBC is the superior body for Boxing. So, although Dillian Whyte was signalled to fight in the match, WBC will now carry an independent investigation into the matter.
Dillian Whyte now has a chance to prove his case too. But until then Dillian Whyte has lost the right to challenge Wilder for a title match. WBC released a statement clarifying the same.
“In light of the adverse finding, and pending outcome of the WBC’s own investigation, the WBC is provisionally suspending Dillian Whyte’s recognition as interim world champion and mandatory challenger of the division.”
Consequences can be career threatening for Whyte
The big dreaming Dillian Whyte had finally realized his long standing ambitions of a title fight with Deontay Wilder. But just when all seemed rosy, tragedy has struck for him.
Whyte was previously banned for two years in 2012 in a case of doping. Another violation could lead to career threatening ban.
Whyte though rubbished any claims of doping and seems confident in proving himself innocent. He wrote on Twitter about it soon after the news came out.
I am so disappointed with the rubbish that has been said about me over the last few days.
I have lawyers dealing with it and I have been told that I can't talk about it for good legal reasons.
I was cleared to fight and I won that fight fair and square.
Thanks for the support
— Dillian Whyte (@DillianWhyte) July 26, 2019
“I am so disappointed with the rubbish that has been said about me over the last few days.
I have lawyers dealing with it and I have been told that I can’t talk about it for good legal reasons.”
Stay updated with BlockToro.